Sunday, November 21, 2010

Yes, I like spending time with myself


I am an only child and spending time with myself is quite normal to me. When I was a kid and my parents were at work I used to keep myself busy with my toys or books. When people hear that I am an only child, the one thing they usually say is 'That must be boring'. And my usual answer would be 'Not really! What makes you say that?'

Today, I live alone in a studio apartment. Yeah I have friends living around me. But I enjoy the peace and quiet living alone has got to offer. A few days ago I decided to take a trip to some place all alone. Well, just the decision made a lot of people livid. And the first question many people asked me was 'why?'

Sometimes I don't understand why people get so hyper whenever I mention that I enjoy spending time with myself. 'Me time' according to a few of my friends is a sign of depression. I, on the other hand believe being happy even when nobody is around, is one sign to show you are not depressed. It shows that you have confidence in doing whatever it is that you do, that you have confidence in you.

Four years ago, when I was in Hyderabad, there were days when I used to work late and would go down to the cafeteria to grab a bite at around 7-8 PM. The few people who were around at that time, would look at me like I was off my rocker. Seriously, what do you expect me to do? Call a friend/colleague who had already gone home to accompany me?

Being alone has it's advantages too. I have made a lot of friends in the office cafeteria or travelling alone in the office shuttle. Even today, I do end up talking to a lot of people when I travel alone. And ladies, here's a tip. I've noticed, it's easier for a guy to ask you out if you are not surrounded by an army of friends all the time. Now that's something to think about isn't it?

Try spending some time with yourself sometime. and do let me know, Am I really being weird?? ;)

4 comments:

PadminiJonnala said...

not at all weird...
infact i love spending time with my own self.. and i love it the most wen am shopping alone :D

Achala said...

Paddu, I love doing it too.. as much as i love going shopping with my girl gang, I love taking time alone. And you know what someone just asked me if I wrote this post coz someone ditched me and I am alone... GOD!!

Unknown said...

Its absolutely happy and normal to be alone for yourself. Sometimes i get to know actual myself when i am alone... so i totally agree with its normality.

Achala said...

Suman, Glad to know I have friends who think alike. I agree with you about getting to know the actual 'you'. Sometimes we(I) get so carried away with the people around that it takes a little contemplation to decide on what 'you' actually want.